Do you guys love poke cakes as much as I do? They’re so moist and flavorful and absolutely delicious. They’re always a hit when I have company around and they’re incredibly easy to make. I was a little tired of having the same holiday desserts over and over. Although pumpkin pie, apple pie and chocolate cake are all delicious, after celebrating Canadian AND American thanksgiving, I needed a little bit of variety in my life.
I’ve been loving cranberries lately, as you’ve probably noticed if you’ve read my other recent blog posts, and I’ve always had a weakness for white chocolate. So a white chocolate cranberry poke cake sounded both festive and delicious. If you’re tired of the same desserts, try this one out for Christmas this year! Your guests will thank you! 🙂
What you’ll need:
- 1 box of yellow cake mix, plus whatever ingredients are listed on the box (oil, water, eggs)
- 1 box of instant white chocolate pudding (3.4 oz) plus ingredients listed on box (appox. 2 cups of milk)
- 12 oz. package of cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp of water
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- 1 package of cream cheese (8 oz.) softened
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream (16oz.)
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Prepare pudding mixture according to box directions. Refrigerate until firm.
- Bake cake according to box directions. Remove cake from oven and poke holes in the cake using the end of a spoon or another round object. I did 4 rows of 3 holes. Sit aside and let cool.
- To make the cranberry sauce, add rinsed cranberries, water, and sugar to a skillet or sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, smashing the cranberry as you go, once they start to soften. Stirring often to ensure they do not burn. Once the sauce has thickened, set aside and let cool.
- For the topping, beat softened cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and free of lumps.
- Add heavy cream and continue beating. Slowly add in powdered sugar and beat until blended well.
- Pour pudding over cake and spread it with a spatula, followed by cranberry sauce, and cream cheese topping.
- Refrigerate cake and enjoy!
*This cake must be kept in the refrigerator.