Don’t you all just love anything marbled and anything gold? And love it even more if it’s marbled AND gold? I’ve always had a weakness for anything combining gold and marble.. and I have an unhealthy obsession with coffee mugs. My coffee cart is overflowing with them, and I only foresee the problem getting worse.
Aren’t these just the cutest? I’m so happy with how they turned out! And all you need is a gold leafing pen, nail polish, coffee mugs, an oven and a container for water that you don’t care about. They’re going to look so cute displayed on my coffee cart! They’ll also make great DIY Christmas gifts!
Get creative with the colors and slogans you come up with! The possibilities are endless!
What you’ll need:
- Nail polish
- Disposable aluminum pan
- Gold leafing pen
- Coffee mugs (88 cents at walmart 😉 )
- Nail polish remover
- Cotton pads
- Start by writing or drawing what you’d like on the coffee mugs with the gold leafing pen. (practice on paper first, if you feel it’s necessary) Make sure the coffee mug is clean and dry when you do this. If you don’t like your design, you can remove it with nail polish remover and start over, just make sure you wash the remover off thoroughly and let it dry before you start over.
- Once the you’ve written on the mug, it may look a little streaky. Let the leafing dry and go over it again. Repeat as necessary.
- Bake the mugs in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Remove the mugs from the oven and let cool
- Once the mugs are cool, fill the aluminum pan with warm water.
- Drizzle nail polish in the water and dip the bottom of the mug in immediately.
- Hold the mug in place for 10 seconds and remove from water.
- If you don’t like the way it came out, use nail polish remover and a cotton pad to remove the marbling and try again.
- Use nail polish remover and a cotton pad to remove nail polish from the bottom of the mug, and sit aside to let dry over night.
*Tips* When you’re ready to change the color of the nail polish, swirl a tooth pick around in the water.. it’ll stick to it and look like cotton candy 😛
Work fast! The nail polish sits up in the water very quickly!
Don’t bake the mugs after applying nail polish.. it will burn.
Don’t over do it with the nail polish or you won’t get the marbled effect.. it’ll come out one solid color.
Now for some freebies!
You’ve made some super cute coffee mugs for your coffee cart, now download some printable artwork to go with them!
I hope you like them! They were super fun to make and I can’t wait to make some more. I’m thinking I might go printable crazy! 🙂
This post may contain affiliate links.